Miami’s main campus is located in Oxford, Ohio, 35 miles north of Cincinnati.
Regional campuses are located in Hamilton, Middletown and the Voice of America Learning Center in West Chester, Ohio.
Position’s Description and Details
If you are looking to start a new career, Miami University has the job for you. We offer a welcoming workplace, excellent benefits, and the opportunity to grow.
We are looking for someone who loves to design, develop, and modify applications, interested in new and interesting challenges, and a desire for an engaging experience with our thriving university community in an Application Software Developer position. Is this you?
Miami University offers an engaging work environment at a premier higher education institution with an exceptional benefits package plus many other support resources to help employees balance their professional and personal lives.
As a member of the Miami team you will be a part of our efforts to pursue the best solutions for the University.
Our diverse team members actively design, develop, modify and support application software systems by:
- Gathering, documenting, and analyzing user needs and design requirements, developing application specifications and determining system performance standards.
- Participating in diverse projects that analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints using agile techniques.
- Designing and developing software systems including appropriate use of error handling, logging, and monitoring.
- Creating, executing, and automating multiple levels of test plans for software maintenance.
- Planning and executing third-party software implementations and integrations with a focus on using APIs and code reuse.
- Working with our clients to learn and understand business processes and responsibilities and suggest solutions to problems.
- Identifying roadblocks and generating ideas for improvement; using agile methods like the Scrum framework and pair programming.
- As a member of our team, you will have great opportunities to grow technically and professionally through annual training.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science, information technology, or a related field earned by date of hire and four or more years of relevant experience depending on qualifications.
- This position is available to persons who are currently located and authorized to work in the United States on a full-time and indefinite basis. (Persons authorized to work on such a basis include US citizens, lawful permanent residents (“green card” holders), asylees, refugees, and temporary residents under IRCA.)
- Additionally, this position is available to persons who currently hold an H1-B Visa sponsored by IT Services, Miami University.
As an Application Software Developer IV reporting to our Application Development Team Manager, we are looking for you to have advanced knowledge and experience in several of the following areas:
- Collaborating with and leading teams in using Agile development techniques to design solutions that maximize simplicity, stability, maintainability, and code reuse.
- Developing applications using object-oriented programming in PHP, Python, Node JS, or similar languages.
- Using source code management systems like Github and understand the concepts of Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Developing secure applications to defend against attacks such as SQL injection or cross-site scripting and using single-sign-on and authentication systems similar to LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth and Two-Factor services like Duo.
- Using different testing options, which could include unit, feature, stress/load, accessibility (ADA) testing and documenting test plans, cases and results to improve our quality of applications.
- Developing against Higher Ed ERP systems like Ellucian’s Banner suite, Learning Management systems like Canvas, and web portal systems or similar applications.
- Developing with databases and SQL.
- Web application deployment and server configuration management in applications such as Apache/Tomcat and Weblogic.
- Learn and evaluate technology and industry trends to guide future adoptions of development methodologies and frameworks.
- Basic software application deployment in a cloud-based infrastructure such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Building positive relationships with internal and external constituents, including learning their roles and responsibilities to engage them effectively.
Please include Cover Letter, Resume, and 3 Professional References
Miami University, an EOIAA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.